Tuesday 16 March 2010

Wicked Wiki



I've had a look at the Oxford web 2.0 wiki & it's interesting to see what's on there, particularly which social networks Oxford libraries are maintaining a presence on. Haven't seen a page that I would want to edit yet but will carry on exploring.

I'm already a fan of Wikipedia & it's one of the gadgets that I've put on my I-Google page. I find it particularly useful for interpreting internet slang for example "lol" or "Rickrolling". It's thanks to Wikipedia that I know that "Rickrolling" is a "viral internet meme" :) It's important to always remember that Wikipedia is user created & I would not use a Wikipedia entry as a source for anything I was writing without verifying the information elsewhere. I appreciate that there have been some awful examples of false entries but, interestingly, the current "scandal" concerning the French president & his wife is alleged to have been started by a young journalist who was interested to see whether he could create a news story by starting a rumour on *Twitter* - so there you go. Having worked in newspapers for years I have tattooed on my heart the number one rule for all research - *check your sources*

Above, you can see (tho you'll probably need a magnifying glass:)) a Wikipedia page for the novelist & short story writer Liam O'Flaherty. I've just added 3 further book titles to the information.

1 comment:

  1. You are obviously watching too much telly!
    It has got to be the English Civil war.

    ReplyDelete